Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Joseph Smith Papers

I really enjoyed reading the minutes from February 17, 1834. It gave me a lot of insight as to the origins of the high council system, and even disciplinary councils in these last days. It was cool to see how it was set up for a council of people to gather together to discuss very hard issues in the church. What particularly stuck out was that regarding what sounded like the disciplinary councils of the church. I didn't realize it was during this time that the order and manner of these councils was established. My dad is on the high council for my stake, so I've talked to him a little bit about how disciplinary councils work and function. After reading these minutes, I realized that the church still follows this very order of things. It all sounded so familiar to what my dad had told me. I think it's amazing how it is set up though--that there are six members who represent and defend that accused, and then twelve who basically prosecute. But all of it done in love to be sure that both justice and mercy are able to take place. I think the important part of this too, is that was not just for the everyday cases. It was only for those cases where bishops and their councils, or other smaller councils could not resolve an issue. It was only for major issues. I think that's an important thing to remember.
The other thing I found interesting about the readings was the revelation talking about wars. It's interesting to see that these two events happened on the same day-the organization of the high council, and a revelation prophesying of the civil war.
It's really cool to read in the Joseph Smith Papers and see the origins of some of the procedures, and the actual documents for revelations I had known of for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment